Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Previous Jobs

Flyer Distributor
Pay: $40 per day
I took this job with melmel after poly. I had a good time bumming around then. We distributed flyers for StanChart at Raffles Place. Distributing flyers is not an easy job okay! Not many people want to take flyers from you, some even give you dirty looks and shun you like you might give them the plague. The pay was good though, I collected $1200 for about 30 days. It took me ages to get paid though...

Project Assistant
Pay: $1340/Month
This job came after my flyer distributing stint. I had a 6-week contract with OCBC, my office was in Raffles Place again, Chulia Street. I was located in the IT department on the 29th floor. The view was spectacular, I could see the entire bay area. Those lucky bastards who had the window view! I was deployed to the OCBC branches when they were rolling out their new system for their teller machines. I just had to stand-by and act quickly if anything goes wrong. As if I'm God like that, if the server crashes, what am I suppose to do? -_-

Temp Staff
Pay: $6/Hour
I was meant to work for this assignment at Philips Electronics that lasts for about two weeks but I got fired after three days. Hur hur hur. So depressing. The job wasn't even hard and it felt demeaning at times, and to think I got fired from a demeaning job! All I had to do was to assist the HR personnel, sort out resumes for her and some filing work.. I seriously wonder why I got fired, I always take my job seriously no matter what it is... it's called Work Ethics!

Temp Staff Part 2
Pay: $6.20/Hour
Shortly after my short-lived stint at Philips, I was assigned another job at the same place again. This time I was doing data-entry for a German lady. I remembered using this rubbish admin tool that doesn't allow you to amend entries that were entered wrongly... What crap, a total disgrace for an IT graduate to witness. Anyway, it was there where I met Jamie who did a make-over for me. Turned me into a shopping addict and taught me how to wear heels. If not for her I would probably still be in my T-Shirt and Jeans combo. And also Celeste, who taught how to be vain and apply make-up, LOL. She was really good too! The sad part is I haven't got the chance to meet up with the both of them since I came back! Argghhh... Work is depriving me of my special friends... :(

Temp Staff Part 3
Pay: $6.50/Hour
After the last Philips assignment which lasted two months, I got another assignment which was about generating Excel reports and doing some webby stuff. I was there for about 6 months which was quite impressive! Longest working stint ever right after my poly graduation... But I've since surpassed it working here at M2B. I met this guy there who I thought was quite special, pity that he didn't feel the same way, oh well. And I did make another friend, Yann Yng, she inspired me to study overseas when she told me about how she coped with her studies at University of Tasmania. It's really true when they say you can learn a lot from friends... You just don't realise it sometimes I guess. I had these weekly meetings where my New Zealander boss would invite me sit-in during the meetings. I had a very bad habit of laughing during these meeting which is quite humiliating on hindsight.

Health Screener
Pay: $6/Hour
During the SARS period I worked as a health screener! Yes! How brave of me... LOL. I was willing to sacrificed for the sake of the nation. I remember I was working at New Tech Park for ESPN. Lots of cute guys - many plus points there! I was there because Celeste asked if I could cover a friend of hers for four days. I got paid like $45 a day which was pretty decent. I vividly remember this really gross incident that when I took the ear thermometer out of this guy's ear, and this freaking huge ball of ear wax about the size of a marble was stuck at the end of it! REALLY GROSSED ME OUT, but yet I had to pretend that I was a professional and not act like I was grossed out. Felt so conflicted, LOL.

Office Gal
Pay: $7.50/Hour
Of all the places that I've worked at, Levi's was the best company. Nobody treated me like a temp staff even though I was doing filing, shredding, archiving and photocopying... basically all the odd jobs in the company. I was involved in all the company events during Christmas and Chinese New Year. There was a Christmas lunch where the entire company went to and the Big Boss flew down from Brussels to attend the lunch. I even got a $40 takashimaya voucher! So touched you know.. Not forgetting Levi's jeans were going at 40% discount for all Levi's staff. I think I bought a bout 4 - 5 pairs of jeans when I was there. I really like how the Americans work, overtime is not encouraged at all. We could knock off at 3:45pm on Fridays... It's THAT easy-going, so unlike Singaporean bosses... I'm never going to forget my time there...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah! Why got fired??? Haha. Never hear you mention before. Hmm. - Weny

08 October, 2006 00:30  
Blogger saccha said...

Mmmmm. She told me no need to come back after 3 days. Then I went back to look for her to sign my timesheet, she already got someone new there liao. So I really believe I got fired!

09 October, 2006 09:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home