Day 1 : London
The day I left for my flight to London was just a mad rush.
At work I was struggling to finish as much as I can, then it came to a point when I realised that it wasn't going to happened because the work just kept piling up.
I intended to leave work at 5:30pm but I only managed to leave at 6:30pm. My flight was at 11pm but we had to be at the airport at 8pm and we still have to pick my brother up to go to the airport.
Just as I managed to flee the office, the sky poured like it didn't rain for days. I couldn't get a taxi and the cab that Weny called for me didn't show up. I was so freaking desperate that I almost wanted to take the MRT home.
Luckily I managed to share a cab with Alexis, my colleague, who was taking a cab to Gallery Hotel at that time.
To think that this would be the last of my worries, this cab driver nearly picked up a fight with the door man at Gallery Hotel for hitting his taxi. They spent like 10 minutes arguing and I nearly died in the taxi pondering to myself why on earth was this happening to me.
By the time I reached home, it was the time that I was suppose to leave to pick up my brother.
I managed a quick shower and had to rush out of the house.
We managed to reach the airport and check-in on time.
My parents and I at the airport.
You would think my streak of bad luck would end but nooooooooo, the customs screening my carry-on luggage accused me of having a BUTTER KNIFE with me in my hand carry.
How on earth can he be so specific to claim that a butter knife was in my bag???
Anyway, they scanned my bag a few times and decided that I did not have a butter knife in my bag afterall.
And this is when I'm very convince that nothing worse could happen until the pilot announced that the entertainment system on the plane is not working properly and so some of the movies are not available.
I managed to watch The World's Fastest Indian and a little bit of Pink Panther.
Another unfortunate thing that happened was that during my transit at Frankfurt airport, my precious MAC liquid foundation was confiscated by the GERMANS together with my lip balm and my Clinque HAPPY HEART perfume.
DO I LOOK LIKE A FREAKING TERRORIST WHO CAN BLOW UP A PLANE WITH A TINY BOTTLE OF MAC LIQUID FOUNDATION???
Finally the last of the all the unfortunate series of events was that I mixed up the airport that we were landed at, so my cousin Daniel who was picking us up from the airport was waiting at the wrong airport.
After a series of phone calls, my brother and I had to drag our luggages all the way to Kensington by the underground tube.
So far very exciting right?
And I haven't even started on my trip yet!!!
I'll just skip to all the good parts now.
My uncle owns this Chinese take-away stall - "Stick and Bowl", along High Street Kensington. It's one of the shopping streets of London, very crowded and it's just next to Kensington Palace where Princess Diana used to reside after her divorce.
They sell about 60 different Chinese dishes. There's Stir Fried Beef in Black Bean Sauce, Hor Fun, Fried Rice, Roast Duck Rice - All your favourite Chinese foods! Their speciality is the Roast Pork with Rice which was sold out on the day I wanted to try it. The other good one is the Crispy Duck which you eat it with pancakes.
The cheapest meal they have is 5 pounds for a plate of Char Siew Rice. That's about SGD$15 which is quite ridiculous since you can eat it here for just $3 - $5. However, this is quite normal in London, and my uncle's stall is extremely busy all the time. Very good business.
Before lunch we took a stroll around Kensington Gardens which houses Kensington Palace. It was Princess Diana's death anniversary on the day I arrived. Flowers were laid all around.
My brother posing with a statue of Queen Victoria the something - I can never remember their full titles.
We went to Bayswater for Yum Cha. Don't ask me why I'm having yum cha in Europe. LOL. The egg tarts were fantastic! I can eat like half a dozen of them in a single sitting...
Char Siew Fan - they make them when you order them so the rice rolls are extremely soft and they melt in your mouth!
We finally checked into Dover Hotel. It's located near Victoria Station which has this amazing shopping place called Victoria Place that opens from 8am! So good to have something to do when it's so early in the morning...
The room was a little sad because there wasn't even enough space for me to unload my luggage. I don't wanna depress all of you so I shan't show you the photos of the room. This is the view outside my hotel window. It looks quiet during the day but it can get quite noisy at night.
My cousin Daniel took us out for dinner that night! We went to this restaurant called Browns in Covent Gardens. This is my cousin's very cuuute daughter, Celeste. She's almost as cute as me, LOL.
My brother's Roasted Chicken with Chips! It was a lot of chips...
My Brown's Guinness Steak Pie with French Beans and Mashed Potatoes. I love pies! This pie cost an incredible 10 pounds (SGD$30), probably the most expensive pie that I will ever get to eat in my life. :)
Alright more for another day~
Will keep y'all posted.
PS: 111 OMFG emails the first thing back at work is not funny!!!
At work I was struggling to finish as much as I can, then it came to a point when I realised that it wasn't going to happened because the work just kept piling up.
I intended to leave work at 5:30pm but I only managed to leave at 6:30pm. My flight was at 11pm but we had to be at the airport at 8pm and we still have to pick my brother up to go to the airport.
Just as I managed to flee the office, the sky poured like it didn't rain for days. I couldn't get a taxi and the cab that Weny called for me didn't show up. I was so freaking desperate that I almost wanted to take the MRT home.
Luckily I managed to share a cab with Alexis, my colleague, who was taking a cab to Gallery Hotel at that time.
To think that this would be the last of my worries, this cab driver nearly picked up a fight with the door man at Gallery Hotel for hitting his taxi. They spent like 10 minutes arguing and I nearly died in the taxi pondering to myself why on earth was this happening to me.
By the time I reached home, it was the time that I was suppose to leave to pick up my brother.
I managed a quick shower and had to rush out of the house.
We managed to reach the airport and check-in on time.
My parents and I at the airport.You would think my streak of bad luck would end but nooooooooo, the customs screening my carry-on luggage accused me of having a BUTTER KNIFE with me in my hand carry.
How on earth can he be so specific to claim that a butter knife was in my bag???
Anyway, they scanned my bag a few times and decided that I did not have a butter knife in my bag afterall.
And this is when I'm very convince that nothing worse could happen until the pilot announced that the entertainment system on the plane is not working properly and so some of the movies are not available.
I managed to watch The World's Fastest Indian and a little bit of Pink Panther.
Another unfortunate thing that happened was that during my transit at Frankfurt airport, my precious MAC liquid foundation was confiscated by the GERMANS together with my lip balm and my Clinque HAPPY HEART perfume.
DO I LOOK LIKE A FREAKING TERRORIST WHO CAN BLOW UP A PLANE WITH A TINY BOTTLE OF MAC LIQUID FOUNDATION???
Finally the last of the all the unfortunate series of events was that I mixed up the airport that we were landed at, so my cousin Daniel who was picking us up from the airport was waiting at the wrong airport.
After a series of phone calls, my brother and I had to drag our luggages all the way to Kensington by the underground tube.
So far very exciting right?
And I haven't even started on my trip yet!!!
I'll just skip to all the good parts now.
My uncle owns this Chinese take-away stall - "Stick and Bowl", along High Street Kensington. It's one of the shopping streets of London, very crowded and it's just next to Kensington Palace where Princess Diana used to reside after her divorce.
They sell about 60 different Chinese dishes. There's Stir Fried Beef in Black Bean Sauce, Hor Fun, Fried Rice, Roast Duck Rice - All your favourite Chinese foods! Their speciality is the Roast Pork with Rice which was sold out on the day I wanted to try it. The other good one is the Crispy Duck which you eat it with pancakes.
The cheapest meal they have is 5 pounds for a plate of Char Siew Rice. That's about SGD$15 which is quite ridiculous since you can eat it here for just $3 - $5. However, this is quite normal in London, and my uncle's stall is extremely busy all the time. Very good business.
Before lunch we took a stroll around Kensington Gardens which houses Kensington Palace. It was Princess Diana's death anniversary on the day I arrived. Flowers were laid all around.
My brother posing with a statue of Queen Victoria the something - I can never remember their full titles.
We went to Bayswater for Yum Cha. Don't ask me why I'm having yum cha in Europe. LOL. The egg tarts were fantastic! I can eat like half a dozen of them in a single sitting...
Char Siew Fan - they make them when you order them so the rice rolls are extremely soft and they melt in your mouth!
We finally checked into Dover Hotel. It's located near Victoria Station which has this amazing shopping place called Victoria Place that opens from 8am! So good to have something to do when it's so early in the morning...
The room was a little sad because there wasn't even enough space for me to unload my luggage. I don't wanna depress all of you so I shan't show you the photos of the room. This is the view outside my hotel window. It looks quiet during the day but it can get quite noisy at night.
My cousin Daniel took us out for dinner that night! We went to this restaurant called Browns in Covent Gardens. This is my cousin's very cuuute daughter, Celeste. She's almost as cute as me, LOL.
My brother's Roasted Chicken with Chips! It was a lot of chips...
My Brown's Guinness Steak Pie with French Beans and Mashed Potatoes. I love pies! This pie cost an incredible 10 pounds (SGD$30), probably the most expensive pie that I will ever get to eat in my life. :)Alright more for another day~
Will keep y'all posted.
PS: 111 OMFG emails the first thing back at work is not funny!!!


4 Comments:
i wanna go!!
-veron
Wah, didn't know ur rush there was so bad, but your trip there still worthed it right? :D
OMG you're making me hungry... now im craving for yum cha. and little bourke street is so far from hawthorn!! well 15min by train but still so far! you were the only yum cha buddy i had. i cant find anybody else who's willing to waste money on tiny portions of over-priced non-filling food.
hahaha, start saving up veron!
It was a conspiracy, Kevin!! Yah lah, still worth it lah, just hate to rush and get accused of stupid things like having a BUTTER KNIFE!
Dav, take Brad out for yum cha! Oh well.. we can have yum cha soon, when we are together in the same country. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home