Friday, September 30, 2005

Thirteen

I've just watched the movie "Thirteen" on DVD. Wow. Powerful movie. I'm so inspired now to start smoking pot and snorting coke.

Kidding.

I was an angel at thirteen. The milestone of that year was buying my first pair of jeans. Cool huh?

Don't answer that.

It's just really hard to imagine how screwed up people's life can be sometimes. We live in the same world yet our lives can be so completely different.

Growing up in Singapore, my mandatory "rebellious teenage phase" somehow just didn't get a chance to happen. And I feel sometimes my parents take my lack of rebellion for granted.

It's hard to tell if they wanted a daughter or a puppet that does everything they want.

Just two years ago, I had to beg my parents to let me stay over at a friend's place.

Two years ago I was was fucking 21.

Can you imagine having to beg at 21?

My friend was going to Australia to further her studies and you know what my Dad said?

If you want to spent time with her just send her off at the airport, you don't have to stay over at her house what!

Please forgive how incredibly naive my Dad sounds.

Being a discipline master for thirty over years in a notorious neighbourhood secondary school can take a toll on your mental health and sanity.

I came home that night and I didn't speak to my parents for four days.

So infuriating.

Just because of some stupid retarded reason that no one in the right mind can comprehend, I lost one special night with my group of friends.

Nothing I can do now to bring back that night.

It's lost forever to me.

From that day on I learnt that I shouldn't have to beg for permission to do anything.

I just had to tell them what I was going to do.

Problem solved.

It's going to be a challenge living back home again I reckon.

2 Comments:

Blogger cher said...

good for you for moving out. it's tough, but tougher at home as an adult i say. you should find your own place when you go back.

that movie was super harsh. it amazed me how fast that sweet girl went downhill.

nice blog.

01 October, 2005 05:14  
Blogger saccha said...

gee! thanks.

I've read reviews about the movie, it seems people are split about their opinion. Some are unimpressed and others like us think it's a little overboard.

Move out when I get back? Doubt so, but will see what I can do about it. Hehe.

My brother moved out last year so it's already pretty lonely there. Not sure if I can do the same, seems cruel to leave my parents all alone.

It's not really Asian culture to move out when you're 18 if you know what I mean. I know it's harmless, just wanting your own space, but older people feel that it's like forsaking your parents. Something to be frowned upon.

There are some married couples even live with the husband's parents!

01 October, 2005 17:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home