Monday, September 26, 2005

Sunday Happenings

I dragged my sleepy self to the city today with Angie and Jody to meet Karen and Alicia for yum cha at Westlake along Little Bourke Street.

I woke up at 10:30am. We were meeting at 10:45am at the lobby of my hostel.

Rush rush rush.

We caught the tram to the city which was diverted to St George's Road instead of going down towards Smith Street. Apparently there was some event going on and there was a charted bus to ferry all the passengers who needed to go down High Street and Smith Street.

Oh well.

Nevertheless we didn't reach the city too late.

I managed to capture some of the goodies we ate:

It just didn't occur to me to unwrap the leaf at that point in time so I'm sorry you have to just make do with this and use a bit of your imagination I guess :P Melbourne's version of Loh Mai Kai is much healthier than the Singaporean one. Not so oily and less fats.

Char Siew Bao! A yum cha staple.

Fried Calamari. It wasn't really that good. I think it's due to the lack of fried batter.

Custard Buns. I'm not sure if this is a normal yum cha dish or an Aussie invention. Haha.

Mango Pudding! My must-have dessert for yum cha! I prefer the one at Shark Fin Inn though. More mango and less pudding!

We had other dim sum as well just that I was too caught up with the eating to concentrate on the photo-taking simultaneously. I'll just continue without pictures I guess.

Har Gao (Prawn Dumplings)
The prawns were nice and yummy. Tasted fresh.


Siew Mai (Pork Dim Sims)
I've had better siew mais before. The consistency of the pork filling was a little too chewy for my liking.


Egg Tart
It was alright. I've had better egg tarts. The pastry was just too soft and not very tasty. :P


Cheong Fan (Rice Rolls)
We had the prawn and char siew ones. Quite nice. I like it. I think it's all in the rice roll. The texture must be there.


Okay I'm going to stop writing about food now because it's making me very hungry at 3:49am in the morning. It's going to take a while now to sleep with my annoying rumbling stomach.

After yum cha we decided to shop around before heading to Alicia's place for majong. I am proud to announce that I had successfully abstained from my usual mindless clothing shopping spree. I did try on like a truck load of tops though! Hehe.

Alright, it's late and I've got too much to update.

I'm going to sleep now.

Gotta start a long week of project work to catch up on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home