Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Why Do You Want a Namecard?

A few weeks ago, I had a chat with my marketing boss before I handed in my new appointment letter, which was to negotiate - not regarding the salary but just a very simple request for a name card.

It's not really that important but I like to feel that I'm valued as an employee.

I've been kept off benefits for so long and it just felt like I'm not being appreciated.

To my request, my marketing boss was like, "Why do you want a name card?"

I didn't feel like explaining myself at the time so I just let it be.

She obviously doesn't know that I have many meetings with external clients, but I can't blame her because she's relatively new.

And so today I had an external meeting with my IT boss and some external clients, so as they were exchanging name cards I took the opportunity to exclaim very loudly, "I'm so sorry, I would love to give you a namecard, but unfortunately my company hasn't decided to give me one."

The clients were a little amused.

My boss was quite embarassed.

Anyway, a request has been put in immediately... so I think I just might get my namecard soon. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Merv Kwok said...

eh.. that's just dumb. everyone should get a namecard. especially guys like you who have to meet clients.

oh, that was real gutsy but awesome of you mate. =)

05 July, 2006 12:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad move,

not good to shame your boss...

but if that is what it takes to get a namecard, then by all means.

05 July, 2006 18:08  
Blogger saccha said...

Haha, let's just say that I've been doing more than just that... I've even shouted at my boss before, so loud that my colleague had to intervene.

Looking back at the times when I was younger, I can't help but feel that there were numerous occassions that I didn't stand up enough for myself. And it was only because that I was too afraid.

I've since learnt that life is too short to live in fear of such things. So now whenever I feel that I'm not getting the rightful treatment from anyone, I will always seek for my rightful claim.

05 July, 2006 23:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home