Thursday, November 10, 2005

Burwood Shark Fin Inn

Firstly, I should specify for the record that the pictures in my entry entitled "I Love" is not in any particular order of rank whatsoever. My darling had asked why he was placed number 16th after a plate of chwee kueh. So there you go~ :)

On Monday, I picked up my friend Ka who lives on Manningham Road in Lower Templestowe to go for yum cha at Shark Fin Inn in Burwood. I was unable to find the side street that I needed to turn into, so I called him:

Me: Hey Ka, I can't find your house leh. What's the street name to turn into?
Ka: Eh, I dunno wor. I need to go outside and check. I'll call you back.

Geez! He's been living there for so long and he doesn't even remember the street name in front of his house!

5 minutes later...

Ka: Hello, it starts with "R" one.
Me: Oh, okay I know which one, I just passed it just now. But I dunno which house is yours leh.

Ka: Oh it's okay. I'll stand outside my house.
Me: Okay see you there.

And so I found him and he gave me the directions to the restaurant in Burwood. It wasn't too bad because the route was mostly required just driving straight with just a couple of turns. We managed to survive the trip in one piece. I guess this was the furtherest I've driven since I got my car.

Siew Mai (Steamed Pork Dim Sim) - It wasn't very nice. The meat filling was a little too dry and hard. It had tiny prawns in it too! I didn't know siew mais had prawns in them...

Fried Tiny Fish - I've no idea what is the fish called. I think it's those tiny silver fishes. It's really nice and crispy.

Steamed Spare Ribs - One of my yum cha must-haves! I love the fatty bits as well, haha!

Egg Tarts - Oooh this was nice too. Good egg custard and pastry!

Duck Tongues - This is the reason why they say that we Chinese eat everything! Duck tongues? Is there such a food shortage crisis that we have to resort to eating the tongues of ducks? Because if there's any good and valid reason at all, it has to be a food shortage crisis. I couldn't bring myself to eat this. It just felt so wrong. I kept thinking about a poor tongue-less duck.

Winter Melon with Something - I didn't try this dish, not really a fan of melons.

Fried Won Tons - Didn't get to try this too. But they looked pretty crispy.

Steamed Eel - This was my favourite! So nice! The seasoning sauce was really good. We ordered four serves of this... It's a good change from the usual grilled Japanese unagi that I normally have.

Chicken Feet - I don't eat this too. It's just visually deterring. I seriously don't want those legless chickens to be haunting me in my dreams. *shudders*

Har Cheong (Steamed Prawn Rice Rolls) - I only tried the one with char siew (bbq roast pork). I had actually meant to order har cheong, but my incompentent Cantonese mislead the waitress into thinking that I had said "char cheong" which was with char siew instead. Nevertheless, the char cheong was not too bad.

Har Gao (Prawn Dumplings) - Another must-have! Yum...

My favourite yum cha dessert! Mango Pudding drizzled in evaporated milk. I think the pudding could have had more mango in it!

I must really say that I don't really go to yum cha all that much in Singapore. It was only when I came to Melbourne then it seemed to have become like a ritual. Really strange isn't it? It's probably because there isn't much to do around here I guess or maybe I just don't know where to go....

PS: We watched Elizabethtown at Crown after that. It wasn't that nice. Orlando Bloom was good eye-candy though. Driving to the city was a nightmare though!

Fuck, I think I'm getting hungry from posting all the food pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home