Monday, August 01, 2005

Good Intentions and Innocent Gestures

If one day you realised that your good intentions and innocent gestures have been grossly misconstrued by someone, what would you do?

I have been contemplating between:

A) Carrying on my life as it is because it is afterall *my* life. Why care about what other people think?

B) Stop all of my actions that have been so grossly mistaken to avoid further misunderstandings between myself and this person.

C) Try and clear the air with this person.

Each one of them has its own pros and cons of course.

Option A:
Actually, it is not really so much about caring what other people think. Sometimes you just have to consider the consequences of your actions and how it will affect the people around you. By not addressing to this person's misconception about some of my actions in this situation, chances are that more misunderstandings may occur in future that might unleash a fit of animosity which would most likely result in days of unnecessary pure emotional torture and trigger a bout of short-term depression. I am citing these from past experiences, these are not plain analogies.

Option B:
I wouldn't be living the life that I want with this option, would I? I honestly don't want to dignify this option because I can only imagine how miserable my life would be feeling so restricted and conscious about my actions all the time, constantly asking myself - "Am I crossing the line?". However, I'm sure that to some of you this might be the most sensible and logical option? I find it a little heartless to abruptly discontinue doing the things that have already become a much valued habit over such a long period time; established bonds just don't break so easily. No matter how hard you try.

Option C:
I have actually typed out a two-page long explanation about all my actions that have been sooooo wrongly misunderstood by this person. After going through all that trouble of finding the right words, I somehow lost the sense of urgency to present the explanations to the person in question. I'm just not sure how my attempt to explain myself would come across to the person. My worse fear is that it is just going to make me look more guilty of the person's misguided accusations. It would just seem like I'm trying too hard. I just don't really see a great deal of possibility in the person taking in my explanations and accepting them.

Does the preservation of my "good intentions and innocent gestures" outweigh the risk of the potential backlash?

Does the necessity of avoiding future misunderstandings surpass my reluctance to let go the things that are deeply treasure for its familiarity and emotional attachments?

Should I risk making the situation worse by explaining myself to the person, knowing that there is only a very small likelihood that the person will listen and accept them?

I'm at a lost.

*sighs deeply and starts to get ready for bed*

PS: Getting my car insurance tomorrow, hope I get up early enough...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... Sometimes I wonder how carefully you pick your words. :P I seriously hope that the person you are writing about does not read your blog else... all hell will break loose.

Well, all I can say is that obviously something is not correct (Problems don't materialize out of nowhere) and a solution must be reached. Seeing how things can't get any worse if you do ā€œCā€ (Unless your words are not chosen well), why not try that first? The worst that can happen is that the person tells you that you are lying, making it all up which lands you back to the same situation. After that... the choice is yours. Well, I believe you will choose ā€œAā€.

05 August, 2005 17:18  
Blogger saccha said...

I'm usually pretty unconcern about the choice of my words here. I believe this is a place where I should not have the need to restrict myself from having the freedom of expression. I truly believe this is where personal opinions freely flow.

Although I'm not suggesting that anyone should pass the link to my blog to this person that I'm talking about, I wouldn't be too concerned if one day this person stumbles upon my blog. I believe that once anything is avaliable on the Internet, there's a free-for-all notice that come with because that's basically what the Internet's all about.

After this week's past events, I've decided to give up on the hope to resolve the situation completely. There's probably nothing that can be done to make things the same as they were before or to achieve a reasonable sense of peace of mind. I'm just going to stop pursuing further on this matter and just let it go...

06 August, 2005 23:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home