Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Strange Encounters of the Train Kind

People who readily enforce bodily contact onto others
I'm been wanting to blog about this for the longest time but the situation hasn't gotten so bad until now. Lately, since the start of the school holiday, I've seen a surge in the amount of human traffic while taking the train home from work. Having a lot of people waiting to for the train is one thing, having some of these people so shamelessly force themselves into an already extremely crowded train is another. I've experienced people shoving their way through the train like it's a normality.

Honestly, where do these people come from? I can't imagine anyone in the right mind who would think that strangers on the train would possibly not mind when his ass or any other of his body parts is pressed against another human being's. The logic is simple, if the train is full, wait for the next one. Why squeeze onto a train when it's already packed like sardines? A peak hour train is bound to arrive in less than five minutes anyway. Due to ill-fate, I'm required to take the three trains to work everyday and endure the same agonising process while going home. Sometimes I have to wait a few trains before I can actually have enough room to board the train.

People who try to do more than just standing in a packed train
Just this morning I was on the train with my Mum and there was this man who seemed perfectly normal except that he was reading the papers. Not folded up into a small hand-held size but opened out in a two-pages spread like how your Dad reads his papers at the dining table every morning during breakfast. As my Mum doesn't like to be confined to the small space near the doors of the train, we like to move into the centre of the train. And this newspaper-reading-fanatic was holding up his papers obstructing our way. My Mum and I walked past right in front of him anyway and he showed his annoyance that we were occupying the space where his newspaper previously was. Doesn't he know that there is not enough room? A poor lady in some corner might be breathing into some guy's sweaty armpits and and some young man might be breathing into some girl's puffed up hair laden with half a dozen of different kinds of hair products. And to think this guy can be so oblivious to his surroundings just doesn't cease to amaze me.

There was another time there was a parent and a child squatting in the middle of the floor of the train. Everyone was towering over them in the train and they just seemed oblivious everyone who is trying so hard not to step over or on them. Ridiculous people. I commented REALLY loudly to my Mum that day saying that I was so glad that I wasn't wearing a skirt so that everyone could hear. What a mindless parent. I pray for the well-being of that little child.

Guys who are just pitiful
On the train this morning, I counted the number of guys seated on the row of seats in front of me, there were four guys and three ladies. Shame on you, men! To add salt to the wound, a lady got up and this guy took her seat even though he was surrounded by WOMEN of varying ages and some most certainly OLDER than him. I thought to myself, oh my god, I was witnessing the death of chivalry right before my eyes. He was quite embarassed himself as he was staring at the floor the entire time after he sat down.

Living far away from the CBD is no excuse. You are a MAN. Most of you would have served the nation. Most of you would be called to defend the country in light of a war. Most of you are trained to handle dangerous firearms. Most of you are expected to take a human life if the situation calls for it. If all these things are expected out of you, I don't see why you can't endure standing on a train ride. How can you take a seat on the train and pretend to take a comfortable snooze when so many WOMEN are standing right before your drooling face? I just don't get it. I seriously don't. Seriously. Pftttt.

Other notable mentions:
People who lean on poles
People who don't move to the centre of the train
People who obstruct the entrance
People who sit on the floor of trains
People who hit you violently with their bagpacks and remain nonchalant

2 Comments:

Blogger Merv Kwok said...

>People who readily enforce bodily contact onto others

I got this once. From a guy. On a near empty train. Tell me how wrong that was lol

31 May, 2006 10:51  
Blogger saccha said...

Awwww.. you poor thing! I guess there are just some very lonely people out there... LOL

31 May, 2006 22:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home