Thursday, February 23, 2006

First Interview

I applied to a WebMaster 6-Month Contract position at M2B World and I went for the interview yesterday.

Before I left the house, I had a call from Recruit Express that there's an IT Administrator position at IBM Changi Expo for 1.7K and she asked me if I was interested in the position. I said OK, since it was IBM and all and I don't mind just trying it out. I had to call someone at another outsourcing company for a 10-minute phone interview. After that was done I had to call Recruit Express to tell them how it went.

After that was all done, I was running a little late already. I left the house in a rush, thinking I still had time to take a train down to Bugis. Just as I was walking out of my condo, my mobile rang and it was someone calling from Microsoft asking me for my details about my resume. She enquired a lot regarding my expertise in ASP .NET and then later said she would put my profile through and should expect a call soon if I was selected for an interview. Throughout this entire phone conversation on my mobile I was walking out along the side street towards the main road and prancing around because I wasn't sure taking the MRT was going to get me there on time anymore. After the call ended, I immediately hailed for a taxi.

Thank god in Singapore you can just flag a cab from the main road and it just takes only less than five minutes. I told the cab driver, "Middle Road, Midland House." So I just relaxed in the taxi and prayed for good traffic conditions all the way. As we were approaching Bugis, the driver slowed down at Midlink Plaza and told me, "This is Midlink" as we slowed to a stopped. So I said, "Uncle, I want Midland not Midlink leh. It's 112 Midland House" The uncle then drove down a little further and thank goodness we saw Midland House.

Once I arrived I immediately felt at ease. I had so many calls for the entire day and it was such a task just getting to the interview venue. I was a good 40-minutes early so I ordered iced coffee from this bar-cafe thingy just beside Midland House. I finished my coffee and went up to the office at 5.20pm for my 5:30pm interview. On the way up I met another interviewee who was there for a freelance webdesigner position. She wished me good luck before I went in, so nice of her!

My interviewer was a fairly young guy who didn't really seemed to mind my exceptionally stupid replies to questions such as "What do you do in your free time?" and "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I always tend to say the worse things at the worse times for interviews. I just can't filter the silly answers before they escape my lips. It's really quite annoying sometimes. I shall not reveal my mentally-challenged answers so that all of you will not think any less of me. Once I had this bad habit of laughing during my weekly meetings at Philips Electronics with my New Zealander boss, Mr Francis File. It once got so bad that I had to leave the room in the middle of a meeting. Boy, I was such a horrible disgrace. Anyway, I'm digressing as usual. I just felt like I had really screwed up the whole interview at the end of it.

After the interview, I strolled towards Bugis MRT to catch a movie at Plaza Singapura. I got another call on my mobile, it was from Microsoft inviting me for an interview on Friday. I'll tell you more on how I managed to acquire this interview in another entry. And no, I didn't sleep with anyone.

So feeling quite happy with myself, I went for the movie after that, we watched Final Destination Three. So horribly disgusting! Ew. Felt so queasy after that movie from seeing all the blood.

After that was my highly anticipated night at Zouk! Mambo night! So happy, for that few hours I could stop worrying about my work, my life and just be at peace with myself. There was this really irritating girl there with a long ponytail and she kept swatting me in the face with it. So fed-up. I realised that the crowd at Mambo Night is getting younger and younger, or rather I'm getting older lah.

Anyway, I said earlier that he didn't seem to mind because he offered me the position today for $2.1K a month for the 6-months contract without benefits - no paid leave, no CPF and no medical.

As he spoke the only thing that crossed my mind was:
BUT WHAT ABOUT MY MICROSOFT INTERVIEW TOMORROW LEH? :(

He still asked if I could come down tomorrow to start work!

Wah... so bad timing I thought. I was forced to do this really lame thing to ask him if I could give him my answer tomorrow. He said that it should be alright. I wonder if he was cursing at me after I hung up.

So now I'm feverishly reading up on Microsoft, especially the .NET products.

I really really do not want to screw this up.

*fingers crossed*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home