Hainanese Chicken Rice
I'm sure most of you will be suprise to know that I'm partially Hainanese. My father is Hainanese and my mother is Teochew. I can speak and understand a little Teochew. However, I don't really speak a word of Hainanese.
But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good meal of Hainanese Chicken Rice!
I guess this is the closest I'll ever be in touch with my Hainanese roots.
My favourite Hainese Chicken Rice used to be at Hawker's Cafe on Russell Street. But I've since found out about a new place. It's called Chinese Noodle House at Mid City Plaza on Bourke Street.
I like the presentation of the whole meal as a set. It just makes it so much more appetizing.
I really like the chili and the ginger. Not many places here serve you Hainanese Chicken Rice with ginger. The chicken is soft and tender. The soya sauce also compliments the chicken well.
I don't really like the soup as I think it has too much MSG. I'm also not really a great fan of seaweed. Had a bad experience with it during my childhood I think... I can't recall much... I try to block out bad memories as much as possible.
The rice wasn't particularly fragrant. I'm not even sure if it was chicken rice or just plain white rice. But nevertheless the chicken was good enough to make up for the rice.
But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good meal of Hainanese Chicken Rice!
I guess this is the closest I'll ever be in touch with my Hainanese roots.
My favourite Hainese Chicken Rice used to be at Hawker's Cafe on Russell Street. But I've since found out about a new place. It's called Chinese Noodle House at Mid City Plaza on Bourke Street.
I like the presentation of the whole meal as a set. It just makes it so much more appetizing.
I really like the chili and the ginger. Not many places here serve you Hainanese Chicken Rice with ginger. The chicken is soft and tender. The soya sauce also compliments the chicken well.
I don't really like the soup as I think it has too much MSG. I'm also not really a great fan of seaweed. Had a bad experience with it during my childhood I think... I can't recall much... I try to block out bad memories as much as possible.
The rice wasn't particularly fragrant. I'm not even sure if it was chicken rice or just plain white rice. But nevertheless the chicken was good enough to make up for the rice.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home