Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Big Issue

Today while in the city I witnessed a very amusing incident as I was walking across Lonsdale Street.

There is always this same old guy trying to sell The Big Issue [bigissue.org.au] at the corner of Lonsdale and Swanston Street, in front of a 7-11 store. He tries to sell the magazines by virtually harassing anyone on the streets. Basically most people just tend to ignore him, but sometimes it takes quite a lot of effort than you think.

Today I saw this same old guy trying to sell the magazine to this lady who was standing by herself at the traffic light junction, waiting to cross the road. This was how the hard-sell sounded like:

Old Guy: Hey there, I'm sure you wanna buy this copy of The Big Issue. *gestures to the copy of magazine in his hands* You look like someone who wants to buy this copy of The Big Issue.

*Lady acts indifferent, trying not to draw attention*

Old Guy: If you buy this copy of The Big Issue I will be able to get myself a Big Mac from Maccas. I *looove* Big Macs. I eat one Big Mac everyday.

*Lady feels slightly embarassed, tries to hide her embarassment*

The old guy persists and continues to rattle on.

Old Guy: *looks directly at the lady* Why don't you just buy this copy of The Big Issue so that I can go and buy myself a Big Mac now. I haven't had one today. *sees that he isn't very successful at getting her attention* You don't find me very impressive do you? *grins* Huh? Well? Are you impressed by me?

At this point the lady couldn't help but break into a smile. At the same time the lights changed in our favour and we start crossing the road. The old guy continues to ramble from the sidewalk.

I couldn't help but smile as well.

PS: My neighbour just informed me that she had been watching Firefly until 6am this morning! Oh dear lord what have I done? LOL. We're going to watch Serenity tomorrow night. Ooooh, I can't wait! Captain Reynolds here I come! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home