Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Taking the Road Less Travelled

The year 2008 was not a very good year for me. I had problems in almost every aspect of my life - at work, at home and in my personal life. The feeling was really horrible and my existence itself felt painful and pathetic and I hit such a low point in my life that I almost couldn't get myself out of it. Looking back, I'm really glad that it is over. I do not think I'll be able to go through something like that again. But for whatever that it's worth, I'm glad for the learning experience and it really did force me to grow up very quickly.

The most important thing that I've learnt from last year is that my life is always in my control. People always pass off excuses saying that how things are sometimes beyond their control and how they cannot do anything about it. These people are just simply disowning the responsibility for themselves and their actions. I know that it's much so much easier to assume that things are out of our control but life just isn't about taking the easy way out. We must take pride and care in our choices in life, because if we don't, who will? The world doesn't owe us a living, especially not this one that we are living in. There is no point waiting around for help. No one can be helped if he doesn't help himself. In reality, there is no such thing as a knight in shining armour waiting to save the damsel in distress, and to quote Gossip Girl - the damsel can't be saved if she loves her distress.

I honestly believe that all of us can achieve great things in our life when we believe in ourselves. I know it sounds very cliche, but it is very true. The key is self-belief and not blind faith. The mind is a very powerful tool and I believe we can do many great things when we condition our mind corectly. Trust me on this one, because I've been there and done it, else I wouldn't be in this position today to be telling you all of these right here right now.

So people, don't just sit around waiting for things to happen, take control of your life and make sure that you don't regret anything when you die. Appreciate the beauty of life and live only for yourself and not for anyone else. At the end of the day, we are only responsible for ourselves and no one else.

PS: Do I sound like myself here? People around me have been saying that I'm sounding very philosophical lately. I have gotten it all from reading the book titled The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck. It's a very good book that I recommend all of you to read. :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home