Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Australian Open Day Two

I arrived at Melbourne Park probably around 11:30am. I got a guy to take this picture for me! hehe... There's a silly mascot behind me, I know...

I sat at the grass patch in front of the big screen for the Federer match.

Simon arrived shortly after wards. I got him to take pictures of me!

Melbourne Park was teeming with people!

I bumped into my favourite ball boy, Silas!

We got ready for the 3rd match of the day at Show Court Three, it was Kiefer VS Srichapan.

Paradorn Srichapan of Thailand warming up.

Nicolas Kiefer of Germany.

I think he's kinda cute!


Srichapan has a very define body.


We took this picture because I thought the guy beside me was cute... Too bad his girlfriend was beside him.

Kiefer got visibly worked up at a point which he thought was out but was overruled by the empire and considered in. He was subsequently booked for verbal abuse by the umpire.

Srichaphan took the first two sets 7-6, 6-4. And after Kiefer took the third set 7-6, we had to leave the court because it was getting too hot for a five-setter match.

In the end, Kiefer came back and won the next two sets 6-1, 6-2.

What an unbelievable come back!

I wondered if he shook the umpire's hands at the end of the match.

The next match was Gonzales VS Bogomolov.

We initially wanted to catch the match after which was Ferrero VS Zib but when we got there the match before was still going on.

Not long after we were seated, Gonzales fell to the ground in pain and we managed to catch a glimpse of Oscar award-winning performance by Gonzales of Chile.

He managed to get up and walk to his seat without limping. Acting boo-boo.

His opponent was Alex Bogomolov Jr. of USA.

He was lovingly called "Bogo" by some of the fans in the crowd. It was switched to "Alex" later during the match.

Fernando Gonzales seemed to have recovered from his pulled muscle in his leg.

Over-exuberant Chilean fans that got a little too overbearing with their banging and chanting. (No, we don't really need to know how the Chilean Anthem sounds like.)

I've never seen the Chilean flag until today.

At one point, the Chilean fans went over the line by shouting rudely to the American player whenever he went back to his seat. Their teasing and taunting got so overwhelming that the rest of arena felt quite bad for the American who didn't have many supporters and starting rooting for him. It got so bad that extra security had to be called in as the intensity of the crowd rose. In the end, the vibe in the air at Margret Court felt like Chile VS The-rest-of-the-world.

Once when Bogomolov double-faulted during the match, a Chilean guy in the crowd shouted, "one more" when the American faulted the third time. It was very vicious and un-sportsman-like.

In the end, the encouragement from the-rest-of-the-world really made a difference to the American as he won the match 4-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5. I could see that he was really grateful for all the support he recieved from the non-Chilean crowd. He was very appreciative and gave away the smelly shirt he was wearing, his wrist bands and his Australian Open towels to the fanatic crowd!

I felt very good for him and I will always remember watching this match!

Jas and I at Margaret Court after the gruelling match was over.

That's Margaret Court behind me.

Ferrero, the man of the match.

A very good looking Spaniard.

Don't you think he was looking at me?


We couldn't stay until the end of the match because the previous match had delayed it till it was too late.

Ferrero won the match in straight sets, 7-5, 6-0. 6-2.

I'll be back for Day Three tomorrow! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home